- Apply the clutch.
- Select the appropriate gear for your new speed if you intend to stop or slow down.
- Release the clutch again after having selected a new gear.
To keep the car and its clutch well-maintained, the following tips may be helpful:
- Do not cause the clutch to slip, i.e. don’t drive with the clutch pedal slightly depressed.
- Do not ride the clutch, i.e. press and release, press and release while accelerating.
- Do not coast, i.e. let the vehicle move with the clutch pedal depressed.
- Keep your foot clear of the clutch pedal when you don’t need to use the clutch.